Some quick thoughts of the Cavs preseason victory (3-0! whoo!!) over Olympiacos.
– No Delonte (excused absence), no Mo (groin) and no Moon (wisdom teeth), but it didn’t matter, Olympiacos was simply over matched. The game wasn’t even as close as the 111-94 final.
– I have NOT missed Fred and Austin.
– With Williams missing the game due to a sore groin, Boobie Gibson got to play point guard for the bulk of the game.
– The Cavs need a backup point guard to Mo Williams.
– Gibson wasn’t awful, but the guy cannot pass the ball with any degree of accuracy. He can’t throw a lob pass, he can’t hit the cutter and he can’t (for the life of him) throw an entry pass. His shooting was fine (his shot looks smooth and pure) but his ball handling skills are still sub par.
– Anthony Parker brings a different look to the offensive end. He’s far and away the best catch and shoot player the Cavs have had in about a decade and he also showed off a couple moves on the block. Parker gives the Cavs a an extra dimension on offensive, being able to come of screens as well as post up smaller guards. He’s also very smart, he spaces the floor well, move well with out the ball and makes the right pass more often than not.
– LeBron is good. And got away with a goal tend.
– Shaq looks to be moving well and ‘soared’ through the air a few times to dunk the ball (LeBron feeds him well).
– Coby Karl is bustin his ass to make this squad. Which would be fun. The Cavs need a token white guard to run around and hit 3s. Karl had 10 points, 3 boards and 3 assists.
– Now Andre Barrett is a Point Guard. It’s no accident that he recorded two more assists than Boobie in 10 less minutes on the court. He fed both J.J. Hickson and Zydrunas with beautiful entry passes and he actually puts the ball where the receiving player can do something with it.