The Apology

Maybe I’m jaded, maybe I’m still unbelievably bitter or it could be I’m just apathetic, but LeBron James’s apology rang hollow to me. This is probably not fair to LeBron, but my initial reaction to hearing him apologize to Cleveland fans was “meh”.

“I couldn’t do it by myself against that team,” James said. “I apologize for the way it happened, but I knew this opportunity was once in a lifetime.”

Quick and bitter reaction:

– You were 2-2 last year against “this team” and then you imploded. You had this opportunity last year.

– There’s still two more rounds, no? This celebration is a bit much.

– This Celtics team is a little bit different than the one in years past. A bit. Older, not as deep… (no Tony Allen or James Posey to hound James, no Perkins do punish inside).

– How far can a two man team go?

– You couldn’t get help in Cleveland? Dan Gilbert was unwilling to add pieces? You could’ve told them to hold on to capspace and not trade for Antawn Jamison.

But at the end of the day, nothing you can do but tip your cap. What can you say? LeBron could never beat the Celtics as a Cavalier. LeBron beat the Celtics as a member of the Heat. End Fin. That’s it. That’s where we are.

We can hem and haw and point out how these aren’t the same Celtics or if Boston doesn’t implode the last play of Game 4, LeBron could be the goat. But that’s not what happened, is it? The Heat won. LeBron played GREAT in Game 5. (Don’t act shocked. There’s a reason we were all super pissed that he left. He’s really really good at basketball).

For us Cavs fans, our only solace is that’s we still have two rounds of playoffs to go. All the teams left pose significant problems; none of them will be a cakewalk for Miami.

But the Heat moved on. LeBron beat the Celtics.

One personal demon down, a few more rounds to go.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in LeBron James, NBA. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Apology

1. Nick says:

I’d be lying if I said I was rooting for anyone other than Miami. This team will win an NBA Championship…. I just don’t want it to be the first year after JaBron Lames left Cleveland.

A Rookie of the year award, a seven time NBA All-Star, a two time All-Star Game MVP, one trip to the NBA Finals in ’07, two 60 plus win seasons, two back to back NBA regular season MVP awards, one Bronze Medal, one Gold Medal… Just a few achievements by Lebron during his era as King in Cleveland, and all I’m going to remember is Game 5, second round of the ’09-’10 Eastern Conference playoffs vs Boston.

Quitness.

• Dylan says:

I understand you not accepting the apology, but I think it was genuine. I don’t think hes sorry he left, I think he was sorry for the way he did it, which he should be! But as an Orlando Magic fan let me say this: Shaq NEVER appologized, in fact he made fun of us in the media and sabotaged us for over a decade with up coming free agents, so you should appreciate the fact that hes at least somewhat sorry.

Now onto this “he quit” arguement, I call BS. If he had resigned and been a Cav none of you would be saying this. True or false?

The real problem was that LBJ was the best player on the court and the next 7 best players were wearing green. You think you had a chance, I think you’re dreaming. You had as much chance tied at 2-2 as New Orleans did against the Lakers this year, which was none at all. It was a

Last point, could Gilbert have gotten more pieces? No, he couldn’t. Why? Because he tried for 7 years and failed utterly, only proving his incompetence.

2. Ben says:

THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS! THE CAVS BUILT TWO 60 WIN TEAMS!

3. Ben says:

Yes. LeBron was the best player. But Chris Paul/Lakers, seriously? I know no one will do this, but watch his body language during his final Cavs games. That says it all. He didn’t want to be there. He quit. The Cavs just blew out the Celtics and then the next game LeBron settled for jumpers and stared off in distance during timeouts. He quit.

Now, was he the whole reason they were there? More or less. Asides from Wade and Bosh, I’d argue that the Cavs had better supporting players in Cleveland. Now, that’s the rub. But see, the Cavs would’ve been more open to trading JJ for Amare or Bosh if LeBron said the word. They were in win NOW mode his entire tenure and he never helped recruit players like he did for the Heat.

4. Nick says:

I put game 5 out there because I was there. LeBron didn’t even attempt a shot until less than 3 minutes in the first quarter. You’re #1 guy that is supposed to be making the plays for your offense should be asking for the ball on every offensive possession. LeBron ended up shooting the ball 14 times in that game. 14 shot attempts in 43 minutes of play for a former NBA Scoring Champion. We lost that game by 32 points at home with a team that had 66 wins, and the most home wins than any other team.

If you want to go back and watch games 1 and 3, you will see LeBron go hard to the hoop and score tough baskets. If you watch games 2, 4, or 5 he was a complete different person on the court. He quit. Even if he was still wearing a Cavs jersey and was in the Conference Finals with the Cavs right now I would still say he quit…. I just wouldn’t talk about it.

5. _Believeland says:

“Oh… You didn’t win a championship this year. What ever happened to TRY HARDER next year?!?!”